Welcome, to all of those insane enough to walk this blog!

As you might have noticed, this here blog is one big archive of the ramblings of an insane author. So insane, in fact, that I wouldn't be surprised if you went mad just reading said blog...Good luck ;)

Directory

I lied. This is not, in fact, a "directory" as the title above might suggest...This is merely a warning of what you might find on this blog. I believe I have already warned you of the insane ramblings archived in this blog, but I must say, if you are not prepared for the tomfooleries that can be found here, you might just want to close this tab, shut your computer down, and walk away slowly in order to keep your OWN sanity in check. Fair warning >;)

Sunday, November 29, 2009

The question of all questions. Okay, so maybe just a good conversation starter.

Alright, I came upon this question years ago when watching one of my favorite shows. Here it is:

A building is on fire, and you have a chance to save either five strangers, or one sibling. Who do you save?

This question can say a lot about people, depending on what they answer. For instance, if someone who does not have a sibling answers "the five strangers", you can not really take their word for it, because they don't know what it is like to have a brother or sister, therefore they could not truly give an honest answer on the matter.
I have asked several people this question, and I usually get the same answer: Five strangers. I can't tell if this is because it is the right answer, or if they truly believe that the lives of five people versus one is more important in the long-run. I will be running a poll at the bottom of my page to see what you all think of this question. I ask that you tell the truth when answering, even if you think your answer may be "morally wrong". I will not be able to see who it was who voted, so there will be no judgment involved. Also, I am asking that if you select "loophole" in the poll, you leave a comment on this post describing the loophole you found. If I find it viable, I will post a comment back telling you so, if not, I will also post a comment telling you why that wouldn't work.
I love head-games, and this is one of my favorites. If you're smart, you can find a loophole in the wording, possibly saving the five strangers and the sibling.
Good luck, and blog ya later, Miss Eccentric.

1 comment:

  1. Let me get this strait: There is a chance that either six (me and the strangers) people will leave the building, or two (me and my sibling), right? Alright, so the answer is clear: six people will be leaving the building. My sibling, and five strangers. You see, I will save my sibling, take their place, and instruct them to save the strangers. That way six people will leave the building, but I will have saved all the people in danger instead of selfishly saving myself in the process.
    -Elisabeth Hunter (the genius born from my mind).

    ReplyDelete